Saturday 30 December 2017

Saltworks


All along the West Coast one can see the salt works. At the Oranje River's mouth we saw the white deposits of salt in the marshland, but further down south salt mining is a serious business at the Sout- en Olifant's river mouths. I also know of salt mining near Yzerfontein. For most of us living in the Cape, the salt mines near Velddrif are probably best-known, when going north from Cape Town one cannot miss the snow-white salt mounts iof the Cerebos salt plant sparkling in the sun.

We cannot imagine a life without salt. Sodium chloride, generally known as common salt, is not only important to us in bringing out our food's flavours, it is also essential to the health of our bodies.  Sodium and chloride, together with potassium, are the ions necessary for nerve conduction.  Workers and athletes exposed to the high temperatures of the outdoors, lose a lot of salt through sweating and are prone to muscle cramps because of that. One can prevent and cure this by adding salt tablets or energy drinks with high levels of salt to the diet. A diet rich on meat and milk will probably not need much more added salt, but if the diet is mostly limited to grains, fruit and vegetables, it will need a supplement of salt.  Wild and domestic animals use salt licks to obtain essential salts.  Other uses of salt include the preservation of meat and fish and for curing hides.  Salt is an ingredient for the manufacture of washing soda (sodium carbonate), baking soda (sodium bicarbonate), caustic soda (sodium hydroxide), bleaching powder and chlorine.  It is also used in the manufacture of glass, soap and glasses.

To ensure that table salt remains free flowing, small quantities of sodium carbonate or trisodium phosphate are added.  In South Africa a small quantity of potassium iodide is also added, to overcome iodine deficiency.

Many substances make up the salt in seawater, but sodium chloride is by far the dominant compound.  The proportions of salts in the sea are relatively constant – sodium chloride (77,8%), magnesium chloride (9,4%), magnesium sulfate (6,6%), calcium sulfate (3,4%) and potassium chloride (2,1%).  The salt content of seawater is similar to the body fluids of most animals.

In other countries salt is mined out of rock-salt deposits, but along our western shores salt is extracted from the saltwater by evaporation.  Preliminary concentration of the seawater is achieved by channeling seawater into a series of shallow ponds.  As the water evaporates the brine becomes more concentrated and the different salts separate out as each reaches its point of saturation in the solution.  The order of deposition is calcium carbonate, calcium sulfate, sodium chloride, magnesium sulfate, carnallite and magnesium chloride.  Sand, clay and less soluble salts are then removed.  The remaining clear concentrated brine is run into a succession of crystallising pans, usually three, where the salt is deposited.  In the first pan the best grade “table salt” is produced.  In the second pan second grade salt for the chemical industry is produced and the brine from the third pan is used for pickling fish.

Hand harvesting for the general sea salt is usually done twice a week.  Staff use long handled rakes and stainless steel mesh skimmers, bending over the shallow rectangular pools of seawater, dense with salt, drawing the crystals to the sides of the pans.

The salt in each crystallising pan is raked into rows and then heaps and drained for several days, before being lifted from the pans and dried in hot-air rotary driers.




In 1972 Cerebos erected a factory to produce salt, to the south of Velddrif, where the Berg River runs into the sea. The Velddrif Salt Works consist of 400 year old brine that is pumped from an underground seawater lake on the shores of St. Helena Bay near Velddrif. Due to siphoning through shell beds, the salt here is higher in calcium content and lower in sodium.  The dry summers and low rainfall of the West Coast make this region ideal for extracting salt from sea water. High evaporation rate by wind and heat produces high quality salt. In addition, the many drying and canning fish factories provide a ready market for considerable quantities of salt.

Cerebos Salt Works have guided tours on Thursday to enlighten anyone interested in where our salt comes from. One can also visit the KhoiSan Salt Factory in town.

The history of salt is not the only reason to visit these salt works. The salt works offer aquiet resting place for thousands of local sea birds and migrating and wader species.  Especially when the water levels in the salt pans are low, when they can reach the macro fauna easily. With high tide when the muddy banks of the river are flooded, the waders will also find refuge here till the river's water level drops.

The read coloured water of the salt pans are caused by the microscopic algae called cyanobacteria, these are the bait for filter feeders like the Greater and Lesser Flamingos who are present here in large numbers at certain times of the year.




Thousands of birds breed here. Apart from the large number of Caspian Terns, Greater Flamingo and Lesser Flamingo started breeding here in the last few years and one should not be surprised to see Chestnut-banded Plovers on their nests.

It is an amazing sight to be here next to the snow-white salt mounts and reddish water and watch the different birds feeding, each in its own unique way.




Flamingos are slowly pacing to and fro, heads bowed while filter feeding. On the banks a swarm of stints chase the small insects flying around, a bit to the side a yellow-billed egret is ready to pounce on its prey. Every now and then the Caspian terns fly up as if in a large cloud above your head. From the sea a dark line of bank cormorants are flying in to roost.

The setting is spectacular. Photogenic. Peaceful.

10 comments:

  1. Dit is nie meer nuus dat DR Ryk van wealthylovespell@gmail.com 'n man is wat deur God gestuur is om die eensame, onderdrukte, verlate en gebroke harte te help nie. Ek het onlangs kommentaar gesien hoe hierdie man help om verlore liefde in 'n baie kort tydjie te herstel en ek is lankal depressief, want ek het my man na 'n ander verloor. Ek het kontak gemaak met hom en ek het gesê ek sal resultate in 2 dae kry, maar ek het dit eintlik nie glo nie, soos ek dit van ander gehoor het wat ek gekontak het en tog niks anders as tot my grootste verrassing nie, het alles gebeur soos belowe en ek kon Moenie hierdie vreugde hou nie, maar het daartoe gelei dat hierdie blog gepraat het oor die goedheid wat deur dr. wealthy aan my gewys is. As jy verlore of verward is, bekommer jou nie meer nie en kontak Dr Ryk op wealthylovespell@gmail.com of jy Whatsapp hom. + 2348105150446 Hy is God gestuur.?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is my testimony about the good work of Dr voodoo who help me.... I'm Katherine from London. And am sorry for putting this on net but i will have to by this world top spell caster that brought back my husband which left me out for past 3 years, i eventually met this man on a blog site posting by one of is client for help, i explained everything to him and he told me about a spell caster that he had heard about and he gave me an email address to write to the spell caster to tell him my problems. In just 2 days, my husband was back to me. I just want to say thank you to this truthful and sincere spell caster, sir all you told have come to pass and thank you sir. Please i want to tell everyone who is looking for any solution to problem, i advice you to kindly consult this spell caster, he is real,he is powerful and whatever the spell caster tell is what will happen, because all what the spell caster told me came to pass. You can kindly contact him on: his email address is voodoospelltemple66@gmail.com you can also add Dr.voodoo on whatsApp +2348140120719 contact him immediately.

      Delete
  2. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of $250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of $250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius, Email urgentloan22@gmail.com call/whats-App Contact Number +918929509036 via email:Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. my partner and I have been trying for a baby for over two years now, We were going to a fertility clinic for about 5 months before somebody at baby center told us to contact this spell caster who is so powerful, We contacted him at this email; babaka.wolf@gmail.com or Facebook at priest.babaka , for him to help us, then we told him our problem, he told us that we will conceive once we follow his instructions ,but after two years of trying we were at a point where we were willing to try anything. And I'm glad we came to Priest Babaka, Because his pregnancy spell cast and herbal remedy help us, and I honestly believe him, and his gods really helped us as well, I am thankful for all he has done. contact him via email: babaka.wolf@gmail.com or Facebook at priest.babaka if you are trying to have a baby or want your lover back. he has powers to do it, he has done mine



























































    my partner and I have been trying for a baby for over two years now, We were going to a fertility clinic for about 5 months before somebody at baby center told us to contact this spell caster who is so powerful, We contacted him at this email; babaka.wolf@gmail.com or Facebook at priest.babaka , for him to help us, then we told him our problem, he told us that we will conceive once we follow his instructions ,but after two years of trying we were at a point where we were willing to try anything. And I'm glad we came to Priest Babaka, Because his pregnancy spell cast and herbal remedy help us, and I honestly believe him, and his gods really helped us as well, I am thankful for all he has done. contact him via email: babaka.wolf@gmail.com or Facebook at priest.babaka if you are trying to have a baby or want your lover back. he has powers to do it, he has done mine

    ReplyDelete
  4. my partner and I have been trying for a baby for over two years now, We were going to a fertility clinic for about 5 months before somebody at baby center told us to contact this spell caster who is so powerful, We contacted him at this email; babaka.wolf@gmail.com or Facebook at priest.babaka , for him to help us, then we told him our problem, he told us that we will conceive once we follow his instructions ,but after two years of trying we were at a point where we were willing to try anything. And I'm glad we came to Priest Babaka, Because his pregnancy spell cast and herbal remedy help us, and I honestly believe him, and his gods really helped us as well, I am thankful for all he has done. contact him via email: babaka.wolf@gmail.com or Facebook at priest.babaka if you are trying to have a baby or want your lover back. he has powers to do it, he has done mine

    ReplyDelete

  5. HOW I GOT MY EX HUSBAND BACK WITH THE HELP OF DR Ilekhojie .......My name is Muna Vassel, from Canada, I want to quickly tell the world that there is a real and effective online spell caster that is powerful and genuine, His name is Dr Ilekhojie , he helped me recently to reunite my relationship with my husband who left me, When i contacted Dr Ilekhojie, he cast a love spell for me, and my husband who said he doesn't have anything to do with me again, called me and started begging me to come back. he is back now with so much love and care. Today i am glad to let you all know that this spell caster have the powers to restore broken relationship and bring them back. because i am now very happy with my husband. To everyone who is reading this article and needs his help, Dr Ilekhojie can also offer any type of help like, resolving Divorce Cases, Court Cases, Death Spell, Spiritual protection. Thank you! contact email: gethelp05@gmail.com or call  +2348147400259

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi everyone,I’m so excited my husband is back after he left me for another woman. My husband was having an affair with a co-worker and i love my husband so much but he was cheating on me with his co-worker and this girl i think use witchcraft or black magic on my husband to make him hate me and this was so critical and uncalled-for, I cry all day and night for God to send me a helper to bring back my husband! I was really upset and i needed help, so i searched for help online and I came across a website that suggested that Dr KUTA can help get ex-boyfriend back fast. So, I felt I should give him a try. I contacted him and he told me what to do and i did it, then he did a love spell for me. 22hours later, my husband really called me and told me that he miss me so much, Oh My God! i was so happy, and today i am happy with my man again and we are joyfully living together and i thank the powerful spell caster Dr.KUTA, he is so powerful and i decided to share my story on the here. if you are here and your Lover is turning you down, or your husband moved to another woman, do not cry anymore, contact Dr.KUTA for help now..Here’s his email drkutaherbalcenter@gmail.com
    He also do the following spell
    Pregnancy spell
    Love spell
    Penis enlargement spell
    herpes/hiv
    Winning spell
    His email drkutaherbalcenter@gmail.com
    Or his WhatsApp +2347054547814

    ReplyDelete
  7. OLÁ A TODOS
    Dr. afrid realmente é tão maravilhoso para mim que sempre testemunharei sua grandeza na minha vida, que poderia acreditar que o dr Afrid ervas medicinais me curou do meu vírus do herpes que eu estava tendo nos últimos 4 anos, me deparei com drafridherbalhome11 @ gmail. com em uma página de como tratar o vírus do herpes e vi muitos testemunhos de como o Dr. Afrid os ajudou em vários problemas e situações, e seus números de celular também estavam em cada testemunho +2349056393547
    para contatá-lo, porque eu precisava de ajuda para me livrar do meu vírus do herpes, escrevi para ele no app e contei o que estava passando! Caros amigos, todos os dr. lembre-se saúde é riqueza, ele me enviou um remédio herbal para a cura do meu vírus do herpes, fiquei muito feliz porque, depois de beber as ervas conforme as instruções dele, fui ao hospital para fazer um check-up para minha surpresa, meu resultado para o herpes saiu negativo Eu recomendo drafridherbalhome11@gmail.com para quem precisar de sua ajuda, você também pode
    ... Obrigado Dr ...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello everyone.  I want to share my amazing experience with the great spell caster Dr Mark my husband was cheating on me and when I found out we had a fight which lead him filling for a divorce I cried and fell sick when I was searching about love quotes online I saw people talking about Dr Mark and his great work whose case was similar to mine they left his contact info I contacted Dr Mark and he told me not to worry that after 24 hours he will cancel the divorce and my husband will be back to me after I did everything he asked me to do to my greatest surprise the next day evening it was my husband he knelt down begging me to accept him back, thank you once again Dr Mark you are indeed a blessing to me he can also help you. contact Dr Mark through his email address on: blessedlovetemple@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good day to you, here is a quick one, just in case you are desperately in need of a trustworthy spell caster to help revive your crumbled relationship. Here is one that is truly versatile, compassionate and reliable when it comes to spell casting.. Doctor Abolo spelling home is the right choice for you. Contact and explain to him and I can assure you that the rest would be complete magic, my love life was on the verge of collapse until I ordered for a love spell while all due procedures were properly followed, I am a living witness that Doctor Abolo spell magic does work that is why i'm using all medium to let the world know of this great witch doctor who brought back peace and unity to my home, Talk to him today and have your emotional setbacks wiped out totally.
    You reach him at these contacts! Abolospell@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete